Galt Moving Timeline & Checklist
6 - 8 WEEKS PRIOR to your METRO AREA or LONG DISTANCE MOVE
- Walk through each room of the home and decide what to take to your new home and what to purge before your moving date. This will help your local Denver movers get your move done fast.
- Consider a garage or a yard sale prior to your move date to sell the items you want to purge before the local Denver movers arrive.
- Galt Moving Denver and most local Denver movers CANNOT take any liquids, chemical, alcohol, jewelry, currency, firearms, ammunition, contained gases or gasoline. It is best to use them up prior to our arrival or have a plan in place to transport these items safely from one home to another.
- Before hiring a local Denver movers always ask for a Colorado DOT License #, PUC Number #, & an MC # (for Long Distance moves ONLY). Also, make sure the local Denver movers you are considering is fully licensed for interstate moving with an active MC #. Click here for a great resource from the FMCSA for checking on your local Denver movers you are considering.
- Request Galt’s FREE In-Home or Virtual Facetime Estimate to receive the most accurate pricing.
- Before you get an estimate from your local Denver movers, decide which items you are going to pack and which ones you would like Galt Moving Denver to pack. You can find all of the materials that Galt Moving Denver offers to pack your home here: GALT Moving Packing Materials or Packing Tips here. Feel free to contact GALT Moving if you would like to purchase any of these materials prior to your metro local move or long distance move.
- Anything that Galt Moving Denver is packing can be left in place prior to our Denver movers arrival.
- If you are moving with a Denver long distance mover make necessary flight and lodging arraignments.
- Contact your local Denver insurance agent and find out if you need to make any changes to your home or auto insurance.
4 WEEKS PRIOR to your METRO AREA or LONG DISTANCE MOVE
- Request Galt’s FREE In-Home or Virtual Facetime Estimate if you haven’t already done so. Most reputable local Denver movers are booked anywhere from 3-4 weeks out. During the peak and heavy season (i.e weekends, last week of the month, or during the summer Denver movers are busy) you should plan 5-6 weeks out.
- Schedule the day off if you are to work the day of your Local Denver movers arrival.
- Starting packing items that you rarely use (e.g. seasonal decorations and sporting/camping gear).
- Labeling boxes can be one of the most important things you do prior to the Denver movers arrival. Clearly label each box contents as well as the corresponding room that it goes to.
- Fill out USPS CHANGE OF ADDRESS form for your new home. You can make that change here: https://moversguide.usps.com/mgo/whos-moving
- Set a date for disconnect and reconnect of utilities. Most local Denver movers do not offer this service. Here are some of the more common numbers. They could vary depending on if you are working with a metro area movers or long distance movers.
2 WEEKS PRIOR to your METRO AREA or LONG DISTANCE MOVE
- Confirm the time, date, and the resources allocated for your local Denver mover or long distance mover.
- Start to dispose of any leftover flammables, liquids, chemicals, cleaning fluids, bottles gases, acids, alcohol, and firearms or ammunition. Some auto parts stores will take old chemicals for a fee.
- If needed. Confirm any travel reservations.
- This is a good time to start to utilize and pack any luggage with clothes linens and pillows. Save your local Denver movers some boxes
- Drain any gasoline and or oil in things like mowers, weed eaters, edgers, and snow blowers. If your local Denver movers cannot take items like this in their moving truck.
- Try and finish packing all general household goods that won’t be needed the last week or two.
- Make any last minute donations and or take anything left to a consignment store. The day of your move an additional trip to one of these locations is a possibility depending on scheduling and the timing of your local Denver movers (for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE).
- Design a floor plan for your new home which to help expedite the delivery service. This will expidite your local Denver movers delivery.
- Back up all computer programs and files to be sure the computer is ready to be move come moving day.
Day before & Day of your Metro Area or Long Distance Move
- First finish packing and tying up lose ends. Most local Denver movers will not move loose items so everything needs to be boxed or packed. If your local Denver movers arrive and you are not prepared to move, your move will take substantially longer. If you don’t think that you will be done packing by your move date, please give us a call for any of your packing needs. For any assistance with your Packing or Moving you can reach us at 303-795-8500.
- Galt Moving Denver Disassembles and Reassembles furniture items at NO ADDITIONAL charge. If you are taking care of this yourself please place screws, brackets, and fasteners in a small plastic bag or boxes and label what the hardware goes to. If you can, it is even better to secure all hardware to the furniture itself for your Denver movers.
- To expidite your Denver Movers service, begin staging boxes into Garage
- Greet Galt Moving Denver at the front door and walk them through the home so they can take a proper inventory prior to moving.
- Do a final walk through of each room as Galt Moving Denver empties the room. Lock the rooms windows, turn off the ceiling fans and make sure nothing is left behind before you leave for good.
- Disconnect all TV’s Electronics, BBQ Grills and appliances for your local Denver Movers.
- Please notify your Denver movers with any last minute changes of plans ( more / less items or an additional stop)
- Have a floor plan available for your local Denver movers for a quick and efficient unload of your homes goods.
- At the delivery address please be at the front door to assist with the directions of the furniture and the boxes.
- Please keep all moving paperwork for tax purposes.
- Supply water cups for your Denver movers to keep them hydrated as the day goes on.
- Have payment ready for your local Denver Movers. Galt Moving Denver accepts approved personal check or cash for local moves and certified check or cash for long distance moves.
Denver Movers Utility Contacts/Links
Xcel – 1-800-895-4999
Xfinity/Comcast – 1-800-266-2278
Denver Water – 1-303-893-2444
Century Link – 1-877-348-9004
Direct TV – 1-855-318-0572
Post Office Change of Address
The DO NOT Pack List
- Important and Personal Documentation (e.g. passports, marriage and birth certificates, and social security cards).
- Checkbook, Cash, & Credit Cards
- RX Medication
- Phone and Laptop Chargers
- Toilet Paper
- Snacks and Water
- Trash Bags
- Valuable Family Heirlooms
- Firearms & Ammunition
- Contained Gases
- First-Aid Kit
- Cell Phone Charge
- Other items & personal effects
Schedule a FREE Estimate with Galt Moving & Storage, Inc NOW!
Or call us at 303-795-8500